Remove this ad

Sleeping Apples

Lead

Sep 24 16 7:31 AM

Tags : :

im looking at Nasa videos and i have some question that i cannot answer myself, sorry maybe i look stupid in that case keep patience :)

They say in the video (link below) that the space shuttle is reaching the speed of 12.000mph more than 4 miles per second. its around min 7-8 in the vid. I dont look forward to see if the speed increase, lets take this data 4miles per second.

- A bullet max speed is near 1500m per second

why i cannot see a bullet but i can clearly see the shuttle? there is tons of videos of it even if it travel more than double the max speed of a bullet

why the crew in the shuttle doesnt care and even laugh at certain point? they dont need oxigen mask (jet pilot do with less speed and they can even pass away), they affected by 3 times the force of gravity on earth but they seems so cool, they move like everything is normal

what are they reading while travel at 4miles per second? do they need instruction on how to fly that thing? how can they read with all that forces going on? 

To me seems really weird, but i lack of knowledge in how speed and G force affect the human body. If you know sure things pls help. 

[url]
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

thepaulstalserviceforums

#1 [url]

Dec 10 16 1:22 PM

Well, you can see other planets, even though they are moving at hundreds of thousands of miles an hour relative to you.

If you took a bullet, and blew it up to the size the space station is, and made it as far away as the space station is, moving at the speed it's moving at, you should be able to see.. It's the distance and size which make it visible.. Here's a question- if a bullet was the size of the international space station, and flew by you, at 50 feet above you, would you see it?

Quote    Reply   

Sleeping Apples

#2 [url]

Dec 11 16 11:22 AM

You will see it approaching for sure. The bullet example was shallow by me and what also matter in the shuttle travel is that is not speed but accelleration to be the important factor. According to NASA the shuttle accelleration is relatively low. BUT in my personal opinion they are too relaxed anyway.

Quote    Reply   

thepaulstalserviceforums

#3 [url]

Dec 16 16 1:24 PM

Another way of thinking about this is .. you're sitting on your front porch, with a wide open plain in front of you.. A car, covered in lights drives from left to right in front of you, only 100 feet away on the street.. You see it go by rather quickly regarding how far you have to turn your head.

Now, imagine, the same car drives from left to right 500 feet away from you, from the same points from left to right.. It will appear "slower" regarding how far you have to turn your head.

Now, imagine, the same car drives from the same distance from the left to right of you, but is 4 miles away.. You realize how slowly you will have to turn your head to follow it, right?

Space station is a lot like that.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help